Visa Debit Card FAQs
Getting My New Visa Debit Card(s)
When should I expect my new card(s) to arrive?
- Your new Visa Debit card(s) will be mailed the second week of March and may take 7-10 days to arrive, depending on your location. Please continue to use your existing MasterCard Debit card(s) until you have received and activated your new Visa Debit card(s).
Will my debit card number change?
- Yes. Your new Visa Debit card(s) will be issued with new card numbers.
What can I do to make sure I get my new Visa Debit card(s)?
- Make sure your mailing address, email address, and phone numbers are up to date. If you need to make a change to any of your contact information, please visit your nearest branch or call our Deposit Operations team at (207) 786-5700.
What if I am traveling or at a seasonal address and am not available to receive my new Visa Debit card(s) at my home address?
- If you are traveling, you can continue to use your MasterCard Debit card(s) until April 30, 2019. Your card will be mailed to your seasonal address as long as you have it on file with the bank. If you need to make alternate arrangements, please contact Deposit Operations at (207) 786-5700.
If I have more than one MasterCard Debit Card, will I receive all of my new Visa Debit cards at one time?
- Not necessarily. All debit cards associated with an account will be mailed in the same time frame, but will arrive in separate envelopes.
I currently have a primary and a secondary account linked to my MasterCard Debit card. Will those accounts both be linked to my new Visa Debit card?
- Yes. Any linked accounts associated with your MasterCard Debit card will remain the same on your new Visa Debit card.
If I have multiple checking accounts, how will I know which Visa Debit card is associated with which checking account?
- The last 4 digits of your checking account number will be provided on the paperwork accompanying your new Visa Debit Card to help you pair it with the correct account. If you need additional assistance, please call us at (207) 786-5700.
I just received a replacement MasterCard Debit card in the last few months. Which debit card should I use?
- If your current MasterCard Debit card expired within the past few months, we sent you a replacement to ensure you were not inconvenienced during this time. Once your new Visa Debit card arrives, please activate that card as soon as possible and securely destroy your MasterCard Debit card.
Activating My New Visa Debit Card(s)
How do I activate my new Visa Debit card(s)?
- You can activate your new Visa Debit card(s) any time by calling toll free 1-800-992-3808 or by using your Visa Debit Card(s) at an ATM with your new PIN.
I'm a business owner. Do I use my Social Security Number or my Employer Identification Number (EIN) to activate my Visa Business Debit card(s)?
- Please use your EIN when activating Visa Business Debit cards. You can activate your card(s) by calling 1-800-992-3808 and following the prompts.
Why am I having trouble activating my Health Savings Account (HSA) Visa Debit card?
- When activating HSA cards, please use the last four digits of the PRIMARY account holder's Social Security Number. You can activate your card(s) by calling 1-800-992-3808 and following the prompts.
Will my PIN (Personal Identification Number) change?
- Yes. Your new PIN will be sent to you by mail and will arrive in a separate envelope for security purposes.
I received multiple Visa Debit cards in the mail but did not receive all of the PINs. What should I do?
- The remainder of your PINs should arrive within the next few days. If you don't want to wait for the mail, please visit your nearest branch to set your PIN.
Can I change my PIN to the one I have on my current card or something easier to remember?
- Yes! You can select a personalized PIN at any Mechanics Savings Bank ATM or by visiting your local branch. .
How long can I continue to use my MasterCard debit card(s)?
- You can continue to use your MasterCard Debit card(s) until you activate your new Visa Debit card(s). Please note: All MasterCard Debit cards will be deactivated on April 30, 2019.
If there is more than one debit card assigned to an account, can I activate all the debit cards on the account?
What should I do with my MasterCard Debit card(s) once I activate my new Visa Debit card(s)?
- Once your Visa Debit card(s) is/are activated, you should securely dispose of your MasterCard Debit card(s) by shredding it or cutting it up so the numbers are unreadable.
Using My New Visa Debit Card(s)
Will my new Visa Debit card look like my current MasterCard Debit card?
- We are redesigning the debit cards so your Visa Debit card will arrive with a brand new look!
Will my new Visa Debit card include chip technology?
- Yes. All new Visa Debit cards will include EMV chip technology for an added layer of security, providing greater protection against fraud.
Will my new Visa Debit card(s) be accepted by most merchants and ATMs?
- Visa is the world's largest retail electronic payments network and is widely accepted by merchants and ATMs all over the world.
Will I need to update my card information with merchants who have my debit card on file?
- Yes. Your new Visa Debit card(s) will have a new card number, expiration date, and security code. You will need to notify any service providers or merchants who regularly bill your card or have it on file. Visit our Common Recurring Payments page for a list of examples. And don't forget to update your bill pay service if you use one to regularly pay your bills with your debit card information.
Are there costs or fees associated with replacing my MasterCard Debit card with a new Visa Debit card?
- No. We are replacing MasterCard Debit cards with Visa Debit cards at no cost to our customers.
Will my ATM fees change?
- None of the ATM fees associated with your debit card(s) are changing at this time.
Will my previously established Online Banking debit card alerts transfer over to my new Visa Debit card(s)?
- Yes. Any alert preferences you have set up in Online Banking will transfer to your new Visa Debit card(s).
Will my previously established CardValet® alerts transfer over to my new Visa Debit card(s)?
- No, If you registered your MasterCard Debit card number(s) with our CardValet® app, you will need to log in to the app and register your new Visa Debit card to re-establish your CardValet® alerts. To add your new Visa Debit card: Click the menu button and select Manage Portfolio. Not registered for CardValet®? Learn more.
Will there be any changes to the limits associated with my debit card(s)?
- No, your existing debit card limits will remain the same.